delete
About Antiepileptic Drugs

About Antiepileptic Drugs

AEDs act on brain signaling to control and subside hyperexcitability in epileptic tissue in the brain. Unfortunately AEDs do not cure epilepsy, but they allow many people to live normal active lives, free or nearly free of seizures. Not all patients with seizures require treatment with antiepileptic drugs throughout their lives. Most patients with epilepsy, however, will require one or more drugs for many years. Overall, there is about a 60-70 % chance of good seizure control with a single drug. About 30 % patients with epilepsy will not have good seizure control with...
delete
Epilepsy Drugs

Epilepsy Drugs

CARBAMAZEPINE (Tegretol, Tegretol XR, Carbatrol) Tegretol tab 200 mg, chewtab 100 mg Tegretol XR 100, 200, 400 mg tab Carbatrol 100,200, 300 mg capsule Suspension 100mg/ ml Used for partial seizures and generalized tonic clonic seizures. It can make absence and myoclonic seizures worse. Common and rare side effects are summarized in the table. It induces liver enzymes. The cytochrome P450 enzyme complex is induced by Carbamazepine. Due to this feature, it can cause drug and drug interactions. It can decrease the levels of some medications due to increased metabolism...
delete
Epilepsy Surgery

Epilepsy Surgery

Surgery is an option in treatment of patients with intractable epilepsy, which cannot be controlled with medication adequately. If your seizures originate from an identifiable focus in the brain, you may be a candidate for resective surgery. The purpose of the surgery is to remove abnormal part of the brain which is considered epileptic (source of the seizures). The pre-operative work up is comprehensive. You need to go through a pre-surgical evaluation to be identified as a surgical candidate or not. The outcome and seizure freedom after surgery depends on multiple...
delete
Epilepsy and Safety Measures

Epilepsy and Safety Measures

At home: Should not have open fires. Have a soft, easy-to-clean carpet. Put safety glass in windows and doors. Try to use furniture with rounded corners. Avoid smoking or lighting fires when you’re by yourself. In bedrooms you should have a wide, low bed without top banks. Place night stands away from the bed. If you wander during seizures, make sure that outside doors are securely locked. In the kitchen try to limit use of electrical appliances only when someone else is in the house. Use a microwave if possible. Try not to use stove but if you will, use the back...
delete
For Your Safety

For Your Safety

Seizure Safety The following tips will list the important things to balance your safety with the way to live your life with epilepsy. Some people with epilepsy may not make the changes below. Use this list to make your home and surroundings as safe as possible during or following a seizure. Your family needs to be trained about your condition-epilepsy. These are the facts that everyone in your life should know: What to expect when you have a seizure How to provide seizure first aid What to do to prevent choking during seizure When to call 911 or  emergency help If there...
Copyright © 2011 Epilepsy Doctor. The contents of epilepsyphysician.com are for informational purposes only. The content of this website is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis, or treatment. You should always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider with your questions regarding a medical condition. Never disregard professional medical advice or delay in seeking it because of something you have read on the website.